Thursday, February 19, 2015

Leftovers for Lunch

I worked for a health doctor about a year ago and frequently I'm asked, "So what did you eat for lunch today?" or "What types of dinners do you make for your family?" or "What do you put in your kids' lunches?" I think the reason for that is because there are so many foods we know we should not eat (the majority of which are in our grocery stores today), and it is more difficult and time consuming to find healthy food choices for our family. We are all looking for ideas on what to eat?  Me too!

While I'm trying my best to learn about foods & eating healthier, I will be the first to admit that I'm not a die-hard, rigid, by-the-book health freak.  I still occasionally buy yummy pasta & Marie Calendar's lemon meringue pie.  I'm just a wife & mom trying to raise the odds (which are stacked against us today with the American diet) for my family to live long, healthy, & full lives especially in a very busy season of life for us. 

So what DID I have for lunch today?  The answer is...leftovers.  While all those business people are eating out for lunch today, this in-home working mom made a healthy meal of leftovers that some might even envy.

I pulled out of the refrigerator all the leftovers from Monday & Tuesday. And this is what happened:

1. I cut up some leftover grilled Organic chicken and heated it in a skillet with a blob of coconut oil (I know "blob" isn't a professional word, but it's a good description of what it looks like).

2. I added some leftover cooked carrots.


3. Then added crushed cashews & cilantro (a natural detox ingredient):


4. Melt Kerry Gold cheese on top, team it up with a cup of Organic Butternut Squash Bisque from Costco, and a sweet dessert called grapes, and VOILA! - A great meal with healthy fats, protein, and veggies!

See what you can make with your leftovers!

I'm really excited to share more healthy food ideas and recipes I've found in various places....especially during this LENT season when a lot of people are giving up earthly cravings like sweets, desserts, coffee, breads, & pastas to draw themselves toward Heavenly cravings.  God will always satisfy our hunger!

No comments:

Post a Comment