Monday, May 8, 2017

From Song to Prayer

Some of the best writers are those who compose songs.

How often do we sing in church and miss the depth and rich meaning of the words to the song coming out of our mouth because it's become so familiar to us?  Rote. Mindlessly singing. Habitual repetition. Yet when the mind sees the words and connects those words with the heart and soul, it becomes Spirit-filled and the door opens wide to pure worship.

This past Sunday I saw the words of the song, "King of My Heart" for the very first time.  No, I've sang this song before; in fact, many times, but this time the words came out of my mouth and transformed into a heartfelt prayer instead of a familiar church song.

The writer of this song, Sarah McMillan, shared on Facebook, "I wrote King of My Heart to remind myself that there was no joy or sorrow that could dilute the pure goodness of who God was.  Everything I thought I lost, could actually be found in the Force of His goodness."

This morning as you start your day...may God's goodness overwhelm you.  Whether you quietly read these lyrics to yourself or belt them out at the top of your lungs or listen reflectively to the link below...open up your heart and soul to this message of who God is or can be in our lives. Perhaps this song will become a prayer and heartfelt cry to the one good, good God:


Let the King of my heart

Be the mountain where I run
The fountain I drink from
Oh-oh, He is my song
Let the King of my heart
Be the shadow where I hide
The ransom for my life
Oh-oh, He is my song


You are good, good, oh-ohh

You are good, good, oh-ohh
You are good, good, oh-ohh
You are good, good, oh-ohh


Let the King of my heart

Be the wind inside my sails
The anchor in the waves
Oh-oh, He is my song
Let the King of my heart
Be the fire inside my veins
The echo of my days
Ohh! He is my song


You are good, good, oh-ohh

You are good, good, oh-ohh
You are good, good, oh-ohh
You are good, good, oh-ohh


When the night is holding onto me

God is holding on
When the night is holding onto me
God is holding on.

Listen to the song:  





No comments:

Post a Comment